Tuesday 8 January 2008

Giant Trance X 2 review

When Giant brought out an addition to the maestro range in the shape of the Trance X, the hole in their range was filled. Previously there was a Trance with 4.2" of travel & the Reign with 6" of travel, but nothing in between. So as the extremely happy owner of a Trance, when the Trance x came along I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. Not quite sure why really as the only time I felt maybe I could do with a bit more travel was when mtbking in Italy & heading straight down for approx 40mins. But I've come to the conclusion, it's in mountain bikers nature to keep looking for the 'next best thing'

Upon checking out the range I decided to go for the Trance X2 which retails for £1495. The other possible option was the Trance X1 at £1750 with the difference being in the chainset, shifters & a few other components. The other question was should I go for the woman's version which is exactly the same price & spec but with slight differences on the frame. The top tube length is a cm shorter & the head tube is a cm longer. Luckily, coming from my Trance I knew exactly how I like the set up & as I prefer a longer top tube & shorter stem (rather than the other way around)  the men's one would suit me for length. I also prefer to have the head tube shorter & lift the stem with spacers if necessary, as if you can't get enough weight over the front it makes the steering a bit wandery & difficult to keep on the ground up steep climbs.

Component wise it has Fox Float RL forks & Hayes Trail stroker brakes, DT hubs, XT rear mech, Raceface ride xc chainset, stem & seatpost. I have to make a small confession that I transferred my DT240 hubs/wheels over from my previous bike as they are fantastic wheels & one of the best kept secrets out there. From a girlie point of  view I also swapped the saddle to a WTB ladies gel saddle.  

 Helen enjoying the sunshine at the tower.

Well how does it ride? Great. The maestro suspension system works superbly & I love the stability of these bikes. To be honest the difference between this, the 5" travel & the 4.2" travel is marginal. It definitely feels plusher over bumps, but there is no detriment on weight or climbing ability. The only main difference I've really felt, is on twisty singletrack & berms where I feel I can rail it round better without feeling the front is going to tuck under. This is probably due to the slacker head angle. The Fox forks work great as always & the new Hayes brakes work very well.

With the introduction of this 5" travel bike, Giant now offers something for everyone.

8.1.08 Update.... I'm really getting to grips with this bike now & I have to say it soaks up everything going downhill & as I said before it handles very well in singletrack & berms. The trail stroker brakes are also a revelation. Initially, as I use gripshift, I thought the levers may be a bit short but I've got used to that now & the performance is superb with a nice biting point & plenty powerful.

1 comment: