Friday 24 April 2009

Old Girls Ride!



Jackie may not forgive me for the title of this blog entry (we're not old!) but that's nothing compared to what she'll say about the video!

I've been riding with the old blokes ride on Wednesdays for a while now, so today was time for us old birds to get out. Jackie and I headed up to Ranmore amongst fantastic views over the Downs in all their glorious colours in the brightest Sunshine we've had yet, luscious green fields, interspersed with swathes of yellow rapeseed, and the swelling blue oceans of bluebells-the best of what England has to offer this St.Georges week!

You'll witness from the video that we attempted the big tree trunk roll on the way to Abba Zabba, several times! Unfortunately I only got the 1st attempt on video and not the final successful runs as my hands were needed elsewhere. This was because after the swearing died down after the 1st attempt Jackie had the gumption to keep going back for another try while I spotted her.

The issue was however that I stood to catch her at the place she fell last time and each time she got a stage further and fell further from my reach. At one point she could not get out of her SPDs and was falling into the horrible hole between the logs from the highest point and she was only saved from an almighty fall by the fact I caught her camelbak straps and pulled her upwards as she fell to lessen the impact. (Not very graceful but it did the job- good old camelbak!)



I could not believe that she kept trying til she got it and indeed she did it! Hey this was the first time I've ever cleared the whole thing in one so it was a great achievement for us both.

After that adrenalin rush we mellowed out amongst the bluebells that are really sprouting up everywhere now. Such a sight! And we hurtled down a trail called "Coitus Interruptus" (don't ask where that name came from, I can only imagine!) at such speed that I realise Jackie's in it for the downhills if not the ups.

I carried on up to Leith as it was so dry and I wanted to check out Windy Willows. The trail is in good condition but still has some mud patches on the usual corners and dips enough to suck your speed back, but its certainly faster than recent times and I do enjoy the easy tree trunk jump at the end so I sessioned that a few times. Reluctant to come home out of this Sun!

Great to have a girls ride out at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment