Monday 22 June 2009

Whistler - A mountain bikers paradise!

So where did I leave you- Oh yes I was in Utah, Colorado, USA!

Well I've been here in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada for 3 weeks now and you haven't heard much from me because I've just been riding sooo much stuff!


I picked up my Banshee Scythe downhill bike and spent most of the first week riding up the chairlifts and downhill all day in the sunshine on dusty dry trails with tabletops and drops, berms and ladders, roots and rocks. I worked my way back up from the blue runs, to black diamond runs and soon ventured on to the ultra scary double black diamonds with huge fast steep rock slabs to roll down and steep rocky twisty descents, not to mention some rather high wood work here and there.

I even managed to achieve my dream of dropping off the big GLC drop outside the bar at the bottom of the park where everyone watched you. I've been looking at it for 3 years but only dropping the middle one every year. Well I dropped this 10-12 foot rocky drop 3 times perfectly before I decided to video it and that's when I crashed. I have not been off it since but I will overcome that nemesis- watch the video for that!


I soon yearned for turning my pedals again and ventured up into the black and double diamond black trails in Whistler valley- this means I took my Lapierre Zesty out and pedalled up and up and up to great views. All the while watching for bears and Cougars as there have been a lot of sightings this year. The descents out there are crazy too- dusty, rocky, rooty, steep, twisty singletrack then huge steep fast rock slabs, a ladder over a stream or waterfall gushing with melted snow- it's awesome. Some is not too flowy as I'm on adrenalin the whole time with eyes on stalks looking for what obstacle comes next.


I've also paid some love back to the trails and joined up with Squamish Off Road Cycling Assoc SORCA to do some trail building the Canadian way- I can bring some tips back for our building now!

More recently I decided to go get qualified for leading and instructing mountain biking. So yesterday I passed my "Professional Mountain Bike Instructor" certificate.

As you can see its full on mountain biking around here- so much to do! I'd better get out there now and ride some more!

If you want more details and pics and vids go read my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment