Sunday 10 May 2009

Playground Riding


With Simon away it was my turn to lead the Sunny ride today (albeit from the back)- much shouting was heard from there to redirect Gilles who was inadvertently leading from the front! 9 riders started out and I was determined to lose a few and beat Simon's record!  

Up to Ranmore we headed along the North Downs Way at a good early speed then played on the big log ride before making everyone ride Abba Zabba with a few wipeouts on the 90 degree tree turn. Down blind terror where Chris had a few refusals concerned his height would lead to a man versus tree incident. He saved that for a later occasion. 
Shooting down numb skull fast and rooty was a great thrill for all and we met up with Jonathan and John so in fact my numbers were gained - 11! (hmmm must try harder to lose riders)  

We climbed over Holmbury for a great run down Golden Birdies - so fast and sweet singletrack in these conditions (that trail never fails to bring a grin factor). Group decision was not to stop for tea yet and just as well as the shop was packed with bikers!  
So we rode up to the top of Proper Beau, at a blistering pace, to session the first jumps. There I was hiding behind a tree for protection when Chris in true RAF fashion took flight off the take off ramp, but decided to tweak a front wheel and land nose heavy on (get this) Locked out forks! I could see him in mid-air deciding "Hmmm man v tree or man v Claire" and as if frozen in the headlights I saw his bike and him hit my bike as I backed away and then bang- my leg was trapped and in receipt of a dent the shape of a Lapierre top tube. Wow injured whilst standing still!!  

A few silent swear words later we rode off to find Dave's see saw. (I managed to lose Andy and Howie on the way there!) After a good look at Dave's woodwork and some doubt whether to ride it by all we decided to have spotters either side and one by one we all rode it. This one was grin factor 10 and we played on it again and again like little kids in the playground- Dave's handiwork is excellent! Kudos!  

Peaslake was calling for Tea and cake in the sunshine and I managed to regain Howie and Andy, then up we ploughed back to the reservoir for more playtime. Some wooden strips of logs were laid out on stumps to balance along- some with rounded bark on and some flat planks. There is much footage at the repeated attempts to complete the run and some of the frustration along the way- mainly as we were not allowed to leave until Gilles got it! Here's who I think made it the whole length: Sam, Howie, Stef, Chris, Gilles, Claire, John C, Simon, Andy. Proving everyones skills and talents differ- but its just as much fun watchin the frustration of "Why can't I get this" attempts (Jonathan, George)!  

Then Sam, Gilles, Simon and Chris rode over the wood stack which I've never seen done before. See the video for entertaining footage of Gilles determined attempts!  

OK play time over we rode Parklife, Telegraph and Mutiny but at that point I managed to beat the record and lost 10 riders as I turned back to find George and Stef who had a flat, (I never found them) and everyone else rode back to the shop. (Howie and Andy following my verbal directions and therefore separated from the others).  

So until that last lapse there were shouts of "move over Simon" -what a great ride we had- but as I broke the rider loss record maybe we need him back!  

It's a long blog entry partially 'cos the great riding and partially as its my last Sunday ride for a few months- keep the blog going guys so I can see how your rides go while I'm away. And look out I may drop in with a few tales from my travels! Have a great Summer and thanks for being a fun gang to ride with!

2 comments:

  1. Once again, sorry for the dent in the leg!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW- I still have a dent in my leg - that's 3 and a half weeks later!
    Everytime I put on my leg armour I think of you tree hugger! (I'm not saying what I think of you of course!!!)

    ReplyDelete